Are You Afraid of the Dentist?
At One Stop Dentistry, we regularly see patients in need of dental work in Tacoma with a very real phobia of going to the dentist. Whether it’s because they had a bad experience or they just don’t like having people poking around their mouth, the number of people with some degree of dental anxiety is extremely high.
These are people who understand that they should probably go to the dentist, but may be so paralyzed by anxiety that they can’t bring themselves to go in for even a routine check-up.
Why Do Some of Us Experience Fear of the Dentist?
Usually, the powerful anxiety that is associated with a trip to the dentist’s office is related to a bad experience in the past. Maybe your dentist hit one of the many nerve endings in your mouth or maybe you didn’t want the numbing agent in the first place, and you had a really bad time. Whatever the experience was, it usually stays with you.
Some dental offices also forget that something as simple as a routine cleaning can be an inherently uncomfortable process. Patients are asked to hold their mouths open for an extended period of time, under bright lights with a masked dentist staring down at them while scraping their teeth.
Is it really any wonder why some people might find reasons not to go?
Great News for Fearful Dental Patients in Tacoma
One Step Dentistry understands that for many patients, simply calling us up and scheduling an appointment took a good deal of real emotional effort. If you’re one of those people, you’ve taken an important step in the right direction. We promise to create as much of a low-pressure, relaxed atmosphere as possible.
With us, we’ll do everything we can to minimize your discomfort while you’re in the chair, and we even promise not to ask too many questions while you have your mouth full.
Tricks to Overcoming Your Dental Fear
For those who may still have some reservations when it comes to going to the dentist, here are a few non-invasive tips for making the process as easy and pain-free as possible.
- Let us know that you don’t like the dentist. We are sensitive to all of our dentist-avoidant patients and promise to address your concerns.
- Ask us questions. In most cases, once the patient understands the procedure, everything seems a little less intimidating.
- Bring headphones. For a lot of folks, the sound of the drill alone is enough to make them want to escape the chair. One easy way to combat that is to listen to some of your favorite tunes while you’re being worked on.
- Another important trick that can help is to go with someone you trust. A lot of the time, being accompanied by a close friend or relative can keep you from feeling like you’re in it all by yourself.
- Practice Controlled Breathing. As numerous studies have shown, controlled breathing is one of the first steps to keeping your anxiety in check.
If you’re a fearful patient willing to takes the steps to get your dental work done in Tacoma, at One Stop Dentistry, we promise to approach your case with sensitivity and respect.
We know that no matter what work you get done at our office, not only will you leave feeling relieved to have finally taken care of your dental issues, but that the experience wasn’t bad at all.