Are braces right for you?
Even patients with perfectly straight teeth can request braces to correct a misalignment between the upper and lower jaw, commonly referred to as an overbite or underbite. These types of imperfections, though seemingly benign, can lead to tooth decay, gum disease, or more severe jaw problems over time if not addressed.
Sleeping, eating, and speech are also affected by malocclusion. Fortunately, just one to three years of wearing braces with regular adjustments by a talented orthodontist can do wonders for the long-term oral health of adults and children alike.
At One Stop Dentistry, we provide options to suit a variety of budgets and needs. We’ll work with you to get the correction you need for you or your children.
Why do some people need them?
Contrary to popular belief, people need braces for more than crooked front teeth! Your dentist performs an examination each visit to determine how well your jaw is aligned, as well as if any of these other conditions are developing:
- Crossbite (Front Teeth)
- Crossbite (Back Teeth)
- Open Bite
- Abnormal Eruption
- Excessive Spacing
With early screening we can determine when braces are the going to be necessary. We also provide orthodontics for adults.
Do I need adult braces?
Braces aren’t just for young patients. If you’re self-conscious about your smile, now is the time for a change. We’re always happy to provide a consultation to determine the best option for your cosmetic dental needs. Straight teeth are within reach.
Options for braces in Tacoma include:
- Metal – Traditional braces work exceptionally well. Comparing prices for braces place these at a lower price point.
- Ceramic – Offers the same results as traditional braces but are harder to see. These are lighter in color and prone to staining.
- Lingual – These braces are placed on the inside of your teeth and are well hidden. They are harder to clean than other options.
- Clear – Clear braces like Invisalign are comfortable and removable but are not useful for more serious problems.
- Fun ligature colors – Ligatures are the small bands, or wire, that attach the arch wire to the brackets. These elastic bands for your braces come in a variety of colors for adventurous types!
How do braces work?
Braces are made up of four main components:
- Brackets – A single ceramic or metal bracket attaches to each tooth with either a metal band or glue.
- Arch Wire – This wire puts pressure on the teeth. A different wire runs through the brackets attached to the upper and lower teeth.
- Ligature elastic – These elastic bands hold the brackets onto the wire and are manually adjustable.
- Bands – Bands add pressure against the teeth. This pressure pushes the teeth towards one another.
The arch wire places constant pressure on the brackets, causing teeth to slowly move into a more favorable position. When teeth sit within the periodontal ligament, pressure pushes the ligament against the mandible (lower jaw) or maxima (upper jaw) and forces the bone to break down.
As the tooth changes position, your body produces enzymes that work to rebuild the jaw behind it. That’s how braces help to reposition teeth without hurting the structure or stability of the mandible and maxilla.
Contact our Orthodontist Office today to talk about how we can help you!
Getting braces doesn’t have to be stressful. When you want affordable braces for your child or yourself, we’ve got the options and expertise you want from a cosmetic dentist. Call or contact us today. We are conveniently located in Tacoma’s Stadium District across from Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital on MLK Jr Way.